Laptops (MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air)
Here are the instructions for resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on laptops that do not have the Apple T2 Security Chip. If your laptop is: a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro from 2017 or earlier, use the steps below. If not, click here for the steps to use on your machine.
- Shut down your Mac.
- On your built-in keyboard, press and hold all of the following keys. Your Mac might turn on.
- Control on the left side of your keyboard
- Option (Alt) on the left side of your keyboard
- Shift on the right side of your keyboard
- Keep holding all three keys for 7 seconds, then press and hold the power button as well. If your Mac is on, it will turn off as you hold the keys.
- Keep holding all four keys for another 7 seconds, then release them.
- Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.
- When your Mac powers up, log in as usual.
Mac Desktops (Mac mini, iMac, iMac Pro)
- Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
- Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord in again.
- Wait 5 more seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.